- Contact Us
- Faithful Lives
- Property Committee
- Ministry & Counsel
Turkey & White Bean Chili
|Prep time||30 minutes|
|1⁄2||lb||dried navy beans (picked over)|
|2||c||yellow onion (chopped)|
|2 1⁄2||lb||turkey (ground)|
|2||T||Emeril's Southwest Essence (recipe follows in Notes)|
|1 2⁄3||T||chili powder|
|1⁄4||t||oregano (dried & crumbled)|
|3||c||chicken broth (low sodium)|
|2||cn||(10-ounce) Ro'tel Diced Tomatoes & Green Chiles (original) (undrained)|
|2||cn||(4-ounce) green chiles (diced, undrained)|
|1||T||stems of fresh cilantro OR parsley (finely chopped)|
|2||T||leaves of fresh cilantro OR parsley (finely chopped)|
|Unknown||sour cream (for serving)|
|Unknown||Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese (grated, for serving)|
|Unknown||green onions (chopped, for serving)|
Emeril's Southwest Seasoning:
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- Sort and rinse beans.
- In a large kettle,
- soak ½ lb. dry navy beans in 3 to 4 cups cold water overnight OR
- to ½ lb. dry navy beans add 3 to 4 cups hot water and boil 2 minutes, then set aside for one hour.
- In batches in a skillet, heat the oil and
- Sauté the onion and jalapeño until soft and beginning to caramelise (~4 minutes).
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for ~2 minutes.
- Add the ground turkey, Southwest Essence, chili powder, salt, cumin, oregano, and bay leaf.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until turkey is browned and cooked through (~6 minutes).
- Add the cornmeal and cook, stirring, for ~2 minutes.
- Pour into slow cooker.
- Add the chicken broth, canned tomatoes, canned chiles, and cilantro or parsley stems and stir to combine.
- Add the cooked beans. Set the slow cooker on low and cook for 6-8 hours.
- About 15 minutes before serving, add heavy cream and cilantro leaves, then stir and cover.
- Serve the chili in deep bowls or mugs, garnished with dollops of sour cream, grated Chedder cheese and green onions to taste.